Worcester NY

Worcester NY

Click here to edit subtitle

History of
WORCESTER

     The first known settlers were the Servos family, Palatine Germans, who appeared by 1740 on the north bank of the Charlotte River (South Worcester). During the Revolution, this area was the scene of many skirmishes between bands of patriots and opposing groups under the leadership of Chief Joseph Brant and others.
     Silas Crippen was the first prominent settler in Schohanna valley, establishing a homestead at Tusculum in 1787 and a grist mill* in 1790. Other Revolutionary War
veterans and pioneers quickly followed; John Champion settled near Four Corners, (East Worcester), and Brighton was settled  in 1788. The Town of Worcester, named after Worcester County, Massachusetts, the previous home of  many settlers, was incorporated on April 3, 1797. It achieved its present boundaries on March 6, 1809, when the Towns of Maryland, Westford and Decatur were set off. In 1863 the new Albany & Susquehanna Railroad sited one of its depots in West Worcester, an area which grew rapidly into the “boom town” later simply called “Worcester” becoming the main center of population and commerce in the area by the 1880’s.  The railroad enabled the development of prosperous hops, lumber and potato industries.
     Worcester’s most famous residents include Lewis E.Waterman, inventor of the first fountain pen; Seth Flint, the bugler for Ulysses S. Grant who sounded the last call during the surrender of General Lee at Appomattox; Timothy Murphy*, expert marksman of the American Revolution; and President Garfield’s forebears.*

*Historic marker at this site